Synesthesia or 'tasting color'


I cut and pasted something I posted on http://www.wetcanvas.com/ art forum regarding my ability to 'taste color'.  I am veering off my main topic here just because I thought you might find this quirk interesting.  I also would love to hear from others who experience synesthesia too.  There are many variations.  If you google this word you will get all sorts of articles and info on it but basically it is what happened when a person's senses become linked somehow.   Some people may 'see' music, or experience it as certain numbers as colors.  Its really quite fascinating.  I wrote a little about my experience with it below:
 

I wondered how many artists here have synesthesia? I've been browsing thru the forums and have come across 2 posts last night mentioning it. I have a form of this and thought it would be fun to compare. How has it helped your art? Or does it? How do you experience it?




I experience good color combinations as 'tasting good'. Each color (generally) doesn't have a specific taste but color combination that go well together also taste good. (synesthesia is a linking or mixing of the senses-- tasting color, seeing music etc. There are all kinds of variations of this occurrence)



I didn't realize I was affected by color like this until I began painting. I think the more concentrated color and the mixing of colors while painting makes this more noticeable for me. When I use a wrong color while painting it is like a bad taste in my mouth-- like I have to remove it immediately. Maybe like a kid spits out spinach. LOL!



I also seem to like color variations-- too saturated of color (very bold color with no areas of rest) tastes like too much sugar to me. Too much Cotton candy for example. I am very sensitive to the differences in grays.... found this out while painting my studio on different occasions with colors of gray (wanting something neutral) -- one time the paint on the wall tasted like licorice (overpoweringly) and another like stale grape gum. Once I hung paintings the color on the walls was broken up and I no longer 'tasted' it.



A funny story... a few years ago I was meeting with a woman for business. We met and she was wearing a very loud print dress with pink, black, grey and white. All I could taste was very intense Good and Plenty candy... made it very hard to concentrate on our meeting!! The tastes seem to revolve around candy when its too strong which is odd. I had this same taste happen again a few days go while painting these little abstract paintings on my blog at http://www.abstracthorseart.blogspot.com The 3 small 4 x 4 paintings with grey, red, black and white. I immediately tasted good and plenty as soon as my brush stroked across the canvas.



When a color combination is right it is like the blend is harmonious and tastes very good-- but without one single taste standing out. I do remember viewing a painting of someone's (I wish I would of bought it) that tasted very good but had an underlying taste of a creamsicle. It was of a tiger cub in pastels -- kind of monochromatic on colored paper and variations of one shade. In this case since the colors were in different values and with areas of rest since the whole painting wasn't saturated with intense color I could 'taste' it without being overwhelmed but too strong a color.



Btw I do not have a sense of smell so I wonder if my sight became more sensitive after this happened after an accident at age 4.



alright... enough about me... would love to hear from others and how color affects them.

__________________



Sue Steiner Etsy Shop Blog www.amulti-coloredlife.blogspot.com

Facebook Page

Comments

Hi Sue,
Interestingly enough, I also have synesthesia... and no sense of smell! I "see" music, "taste" words and yes, have very strong reactions to colors- "yummy" Parrish blue, for instance. Your little abstract on the blog page "tastes" like a nice cool glass of water, complete with little beads of condensation on the outside of the cup. In sunlight. On a mild but kind of windy spring day.
Fun, huh? I never realized it was anything different either, not until one of my friends pointed out that I always said math class (which I detest) reminded me so strongly of hamburgers (which I love) that I remarked on it almost every day.
I wonder if the "no sense of smell" has anything else to do with it...
Anyway, always enjoy the blogs. Thanks!
Jo Zeller Quentin
www.Moose PantsStudio.com
I hated math class too!! Another thing we have in common!! LOL! I really enjoyed reading how you experience colors although you seem to be much more multi-dimensional. I wonder since mine color tastes seem to revolve around 'candy' and sugar kind of tastes if something got stuck at when I had my accident at age 4. Did you lose your sense of smell or have always been like that?
v-e-r-y interesting! We would make good science experiements!
BTW Jo I LOVE your watercolor Calypso!!! Beautiful!
Valarie Wolf said…
Hi Sue,

I have it too! Ever since I was very young I saw letters and numbers as certain colors. For instance A is red, B is light blue, 1 is white, 2 is red, etc, etc. I used to think I was the only one who did this. I love it though. I have heard that appx 1 i 2,000 people have it and it's more common in women than men.
Yah!!! another one out there! So interesting to hear your version Valarie! Does it make math interesting? Since Jo and I both seem to be math phobic maybe this special trait you have makes a difference when it comes to figures? Do certain mathmatical problems than make a pattern? When I homeschooled my kids we used a math program called Math-U- See. I loved it because math finally made sense for me.
This is totally amazing I am speechless over this...how can you relate and perceive two senses at the same time is just extraordinary... I would love to know more about this. Im a 17 year old student and my science project is about synesthesia!

I would really appretiate if someone with synesthesia writes a comment with the relations they have with MUSIC and COLORS?! is certain music or rythms purple or green or yellow, etc!?

Popular Posts