Ballerina





This is small, only 6 x 6 on cradle board, painted in oils. I have to get smaller brushes. When painting the murals I accumulated quite a collection of large brushes which are NO help at this size! I need to make some adjustments to her leg, hands and foot (what else is there!! :) ) This is after yesterday's painting session. I enjoy doing some figurative work and hope to do more. Just like with the horses and animals, when painting people its about gestures, expression and painting bones and muscle. I am not a linear person even in my artwork so you will rarely see buildings or straight lines. Watch for more balleria and people in general in the future. Again, I am doing my drawing directly on the canvas in thinned oil paint. This is a new technique for me and by doing these small paintings a day I feel like it will help to refine what I am envisioning. I enjoy the oils because I can paint thick or thin. My favorite medium for a while had been watercolors. I like the glide and feel of the thinned oils that allow for suggestions of shapes in similar ways I was able to work in watercolors. This has been a great time of discovery and experimentation. I've enjoyed as well hearing from those of you following and watching the process. Thank you for your interest.

Comments

4:38 am? When do you sleep Sue? I hope to do an outdoor mural next spring...what kind of paint are you using? have you got the belgians finished?
LOL!! No, the time stamp must be off. The only way I would be able to do anything at 4:38 am is if I could manage to stay UP that long!! I am not a morning person. :)

I finished my big belgians this spring. The finished mural is on my web site.

I used special acrylic mural paint from Dickblicks. I'll check on the name. If you go to their web site and search for mural paint it will come up. I like the paint-- it has a creamy consistency and doesn't dry out too fast. It was easy to work with and the colors blended well together. Nice rich colors that covered well. It is suitable for exteriors because I have 5 outdor murals I did last year out of this same stuff. I put the heavy duty UV blocking protective varnish on made by this same company and it looks to be holding up very nicely.

What would be the theme to your outdoor mural? I went from painting with watercolors to doing these murals also! :) Murals are lots of fun. I'd love to hear your ideas.
Kathi, The mural paint I used is here: http://www.dickblick.com/zz010/19/

Take care!
Oh, thanks Sue for the valuable info. My husband drives to PA to visit his folks twice a year so to save on shipping and import duties to canada I get my art supplies sent there and he brings them up duty free. If we can buy the building we presently rent as an outlet for our prints, on the nearby village wharf, I want to paint the harbor and lobster boats on the garage door. Its probably too ambitious, about 7x8 feet. So I have to learn to paint with acrylic over this winter.
Anonymous said…
That sounds very exciting! The scariest part of painting murals I find is the first big swipe of paint on the wall! :) So if you just get that over with then its just like painting on a canvas. :) And acrylics are forgiving. You can just paint over it if need be.

The area sounds beautiful!

Popular Posts