Horse Painting A Day, Oct.21. 2008








This is what I did today. Oil paint on 9 x 12 canvas. I will post a couple of the steps along the way so you can see the process. One of the things i really liked about this image was the diagonal lines in the horse's body so I tried to carry that theme over in sutble ways elsewhere. This is Ricco, my newest 'muse' and addition to my horse family. He is a 4 months old colt out of my TB mare and my amish neighbor's dutch carriage horse from down the road. The stallion is drop dead gorgeous and a very good minded horse. Ricco is showing signs of an equally tolerate temperament. Yesterday I threw a bareback pad (just the pad-- no rider!!!) on him to see what he would do. He did not bat an eye. He also is wanting scratches from me over his food when I go out to feed. What a doll baby!! You'll likely see more paintings of Ricco. :)






Comments

Hi Sue :
Your colt Ricco is adorable! I love your horse portraits, so fresh and un-fussy and I SO admire anyone disciplined enough to do a painting a day.I am a watercolor painter with a small farm and 7 miniature horses. Sustainable living has been our lifestyle for many years, but its SO labor intensive it really leaves little time to paint. This is harvest /manure spreading/potato/carrot/turnip digging time here in NB, Canada. Snow season will surely settle us down...
Kathi Dunphy
Thank you Kathi! I don't know how disciplined I am-- I am only on day 3! :) We'll see how long I stay with it.

I visited your blog and can relate to what you are doing. We had an 80 acre farm with organic market garden, free range chickens, grass fed beef and my horses...and kids. I didn't have time to paint then. I do love your pic of your minis! I love your swamp lady. That is very clever. :)

Thanks for stopping by.

Popular Posts