Chandler, a Pet Portrait 'Alla Prima'















Alla prima is the term for an oil painting technique in which the painting is created in one sitting using 'wet into wet' oil paint. 

I offer 'alla prima' pet portrait commissions for people who enjoy this looser, lively style.  I enjoy painting this way too because I like the challenge and I like the thicker paint and visible brushstrokes. 

This is a memorial portrait of a lovable dog with a big personality and lively spirit so it is fitting that he is remembered in a painting that reflects those aspects of his personality. 

This is what I did today... I ended up getting so caught up in the painting I did not take many 'work in progress' photos this time around.  I will be going back to even out the upper background and maybe adding a few finishing touches but for the most part this is completed.  My goal when painting these portraits is to be realistic in porportions and basic anatomy without being overly fussy and at the same time being expressive with color and bold brush strokes. 


I also offer more realistic portraits in which the paint is applied in thin layers over time.  I will begin a realistic rendering of a couple dogs soon so if you enjoy seeing these works in progress you can follow this blog by clicking on the tab on the side bar.  You can also see finished artwork of mine at my web site http://www.suesteiner.com/ 

Thanks for stopping by!
Sue Steiner
equine and animal artist,
pet portraits in oils

Comments

Anonymous said…
I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

Martha

http://smallpet.info

Popular Posts