Turning a Negative into a Positive


Rhythm, one of my new rescues, has one annoying habit.  Horses are a little like spouses, you can love them but they can have a habit that drives you nuts!  Rhythm is hard to catch.  I can't blame her... who knows what kind of treatment or handling she's encountered but I kind of hoped she would know I am a good guy- not a bad guy!   She's getting better.  It's kind of funny though.  She walks up to the gate and waits her turn while I bring the horses in.  She's always last.  When its her turn she waits for me to come to the gate then turns and walks to the furthest part of the pasture.  I then can walk right up to her and bring her in.  The walking is good for me.  :) 

After I walked the pasture for the upteenth time I decided to make good use of this time and bring the rope reins with me next time.  The last couple times I went to bring Rhythm to the barn I clipped on the rope reins to her halter, brought her over to a fence, hopped on and rode her up to the barn.  So now the further away she walks the longer my ride gets to be.  Now thats how to turn a negative into a positive!

Comments

Karen McLain said…
It can't get more positive than that!
Miccosukee said…
Sue,
As someone who suffered a TBI doing something similar, PLEASE wear a helmet. Especially with such a young one. It only takes a split second.

With love,
trisha
Thank you Trish.... I am a big helmet believer... this photo doesn't go along with the story I wrote above. I did wear my helmet-- I feel naked without it. In the photo above my daughter had a photo shoot for a magazine and this was from that-- the ONLY time I alllowed the exception to Wear a helmet with every ride! I also worried about the message it would give as to vanity over safety in the magazine...but the mag is a western mag and so I gave in this once. As a side note: My daughter and I had a 'deal' when she first started riding as a young girl. I always wore a helmet and so did she. If one of us forgot the other could remind them. And we did.

Popular Posts