Retail Art and Feeding the Creative Spirit?

Garden Path, paper collage by Sue Steiner 2006

Well here I go again.... in the middle of changes and trying to find my place again.

I have been feeling a sense of restlessness and dissatisfaction in not really having a clear vision for what I want to do with my art.   In a way NOT having a direction is what I am craving.... a time to just let myself do what I want with my art.  Today maybe I feel like painting a horse, tomorrow a flower, another day a landscape.  To be able to indulge those impulses is what I am craving I believe.

The daily paintings I did a year or more ago were a wonderful way to get that unsettled feeling out before I sat down to work on commissions or something more involved.  And the beauty of the daily paintings is you can be all over the place in what you want to do.  I've been trying to fit some of this kind of stuff in but its always with a feeling of guilt because I have other things I need to paint.

I 'need' to build my inventory in my studio at the gallery. ~ That means paint what I think will sell in different price points but also to not let myself get pigeon holed into people expecting only one kind of art out of me.  To do this I need to get a feel for my audience and either try to deliver what I think they want or to bring my target audience to me.

I 'need' to paint commissions.  Usually this is what pays my rent and supports my horse habit!  I need to be fresh for these and I am finding to be fresh I need to be able to do my own thing sometimes too.  Yes, I want to keep on doing commissions but I am getting a clearer idea of what I need to do in order to sustain good productivity.

I 'need' to have paintings for special events, opportunities, show submissions. ~  I really am lacking in this category.... I do want to leave enough creative space to submit work to shows and collect enough inventory so I have things to submit.  This feels like an area of growth for me but how to make room when I am doing the other 'needs' as well.

And last but surely not least, as an artist I 'need' to feed my artistic spirit.  How does one do that?  Play, explore, dig, dwell, linger and feel.  This is a continual process that should be onging in order to have growth and satisfaction.  My artistic spirit cares nothing about money which more or less drives the other needs.  

Another way to say all of this is how to channel creative urges AND be productive and commercial (in the sense you are selling your work)?   How do you keep the interest up for what people want you to do vs. what you want to do.  How do you keep inventory up but have variety?

I really enjoy when I can be a spontaneous painter-- that is where I sit down and just let things flow.  It is an entirely different process than planning out a piece and knowing exactly what you want to do with it.   It is entirely different than knowing what the outcome will be.  Spontaneous painting does not care about the outcome as much as the process.

Sometimes with a painting there is just an element that draws you in... I will be doing a portrait of a beautiful young woman.  Last night we met and I took some photos to use as a reference.  In one photo in particular she had her long bangs with light shining thru on one side of her face and on the other was a refection of her outfit that cast a beautiful blue- purple-y color on her chin.  I loved those elements and because of them it makes me want to paint this portrait!!   So is the trick to doing 'retail' art to just hunt for what I love about something and not paint it until I can find that thing?  And how do you do that on a schedule?  Or do you just learn to get into work mode and just do it?  How do you do this and not feel stale?

The paper collage up above is one of my very first nice pieces I did when I was beginning to explore art.   I am a late bloomer to art on one hand but very much like an impulsive child who wants to just dig in as fast as possible on the other.  Like my husband has told me-- you are always at odds with yourself!  Well, yes!!  I set myself up in a situation with a art studio and gallery space (which I love)  in which I need to be commercial in order to pay rent etc. but on the other hand I only want to produce if I can have fun with it?  How immature is that?  Who in real life only ever has fun with what they do?  No one.  And for me this applies really only to painting... I do other things that I don't just absolutely love.  I do laundry, mow the lawn, clean dishes not because I love it but because I know it needs done.  Why, when I apply this same thought to my art, the art suffers?

So where am I going and what I am doing?  I'm not sure yet but am sure I will post the results here when it happens!

I would love to hear from other artists who also struggle with this.  In talking with artists I do not feel alone because from what I've heard everyone has their own version of this story to work thru.

Happy trails!

Sue Steiner
http;//www.suesteiner.com

Comments

Alli Farkas said…
Sue--I think that I have never planned a painting and had it turn out the way I had it figured in my mind. What keeps painting fresh for me, even with commissions, is accepting how the painting itself wants to turn out and letting that happen. I don't know if that makes sense to you, but it's the only way I know how to paint! If it doesn't seem to be turning out in a way that pleases me, then I just look at it as a puzzle to be worked through, kind of pulling the painting back from the brink, so to speak. This challenge can be daunting, but it's ever so satisfying when I finally break through. Hope this helps...

Alli
Unknown said…
Sue, sometimes I want to shake you...

It is not immature to want to paint what inspires you and fills your soul with motivation. It is ART.

God has given you a gift. Your talent is a gift. That gift comes with burdens enough. But He wants you to share his gift, not some forced facsimile of what you feel you SHOULD do.

Get painting, girlfriend. And paint what it is that God has put in your soul to paint. The commercial part will follow.
Anonymous said…
hi Sue, i was nodding all the way through your post, having often struggled with the same problems and still do. i was torn from my paints for several weeks due to my day job and when i came back, i couldn't paint! and only recently have i been able to see some sort of light at the end of the tunnel. there is a post on my blog which has quotes from other artists that i found inspiring. personally, my advice is, patience... it comes, rather like a horse, you can't rush it (i am also a horse lover;)
Thank you for your comments. I appreciate it.

Alli, what your wrote does make perfect sense. I like leaving the options open so the painting can evolve too. I think in particular with commissions is when there is another person involved then the process gets mucked up a bit! LOL! Hate to say that but it does happen.... I've been lucky lately because I have had a string of people who have told me to do whatever I want and I really appreciate that. Maybe this phase I am going thru will be what I need to know its okay to just tune other people out for a bit while I paint.

BzTat, I know you and I have talked alot about this and I always appreciate your encouragement- even if it means you want to shake me!! LOL! I think if I used the term immature I meant it in the sense of immature as an artist. LOL! Well some people have accused me of being immature in other ways too but in this particular case I mean it as inexperienced, immature. It is part of the process of growing as an artist- moving beyond caring what anyone else thinks about my art to really going back to why I started in the first place. I started drawing and then painting because it was a way for me to express myself in a way that felt freer and easier than any other way i have ever found. What I am expressing I don't always know because I am not after any deep messages except that it felt good for this to completely me. This goes back to my comment about another person entering the creative process.... someone else steps in and then it becomes more about them than me. Okay- I get that it doesn't have to be this way but as of yet I do not know how to keep that from happening. That may be why I have this urge to just go back to my little basement studio, paint in my pj's all day long - except to go feed and ride my horses (and interact with my family only after hours of painting) ... and see what emerges. But the dang computer makes it so easy to put yourself out there to get some kind of recognition- a 'like' on facebook, a blog post with comments :), someone saw my painting and now what?? Someone 'liked' it so now I can chase that! The salesperson in me wants the sale- the artist in me doesn't care. So I go back and forth between wanting privacy to block people out to inviting people in to see where it goes. Ugh!!! Sorry to ramble.... I think this is why artists need agents. I could toss and turn all this around a million different ways and let the agent deal with the money end.

rahina, I will go to your blog and read the quotes. Yes, I often think of my artistic side as a wild mustang that does not like to be confined! Too much pressure and its gone! :)
rahina, Your artwork is beautiful!! you should have no worries if you aren't spitting out paintings because what you paint is worth waiting for! ! :)
"You're always at odds with yourself..." That phrase was a lightbulb moment for me. That describes me exactly! Is it something common to artists I wonder? I am trying to transition from my seasonal tourist accomodation and market garden jobs back to painting, and dealing with creative brain freeze, blank canvas fear, etc. And the same ol dilemmas as to paint touristy stuff that sells or something I want to do. Some comfort in knowing I'm not the only one.
I don't know if that is a common artist thing or not. No you are not alone kathi. I find it hard to switch gears too. I need long uninterrupted time unfortunately which doesn't always happen. Hopefully you can just do something fun for you to just fill your inspiration tank.

I thought being at odds in other ways too just today as I thought about BZ tat's comment about 'the commercial will come'. I thought 'I don't WANT commercial but then couldn't wait to post some new stuff on my facebook page. LOL! Whats with that?? I wanted to lock myself in my basement studio and just paint the day away but ended up not settling down to paint early afternoon. I piddled the day away!

Popular Posts