2 Cocker Spaniels in Oil, At the Beginning






I took my oil paints into my studio to visit the gallery and begin on my next commission. I love being at Second April Art Galerie because I love the people and being able to enjoy the wide range of art in the individual artists studios and the gallery downstairs. The guys are rearranging the gallery space so thats fun to watch as it transforms into something new.

I am not as productive as I am in my home studio but that is okay. I got to catch up with what everyone is doing. Things are gearing up around here with a very full schedule of art related events.  You can get more info on the gallery at their web site at http://www.secondapril.org/ 

I will show you the beginnings of my next pet portrait.

The rough drawing on my canvas will be depicting two bouncy, happy souls named Lucy and Rosie. Already I am enjoying the swirls and color variations in their beautiful coats. What I have done so far is do my rough sketch in chalk on a cradle board that was toned with burnt seinna. I am now working on the lights and darks to get a 'road map' in which to develop the painting. The painting will be a composite using two (or more) different reference photos. My client liked the body position in one photo but the dogs expression from another. This is also a fun one because she has asked me to just 'do my thing' and wants to see it when its all done. We will be taking this painting and using it, along with my graphic artist friend's help, turning this into Christmas cards for the owner to use this year. So I better get back to my easle!

Take care and stop back to see the finished painting!

if you are new here please visit my web site at http://www.suesteiner.com to see completed artwork and commissions. Or stop by my studio at 324 Cleveland Ave. NW in downtown Canton, Ohio.


SueSteiner
equine and animal artist
pet portraits in oil

Comments

Popular Posts