1 Step Forward, 2 Steps Back

Finished! Or so I thought.....
reworking

opening eyes and continuing to contour her face, find highlights


Sigh. I promise I will have other art soon to show you besides my daughter's portrait. I thought I was done. Twice, actually. But no. Maybe you remember when I began this portrait I had no end point in mind. I was going to paint and let it evolve. I was debating at one point whether the style should be more 'expressive' or 'realistic'. At my last stopping point I knew I went beyond 'expressive' leaning toward realistic but not there yet either so I was in an inbetween place. I just couldn't leave it where it was at..... I wanted more but I was working with a very poor reference.... why do I do that to myself??? LOL! Sometimes with commissions you don't have much to work with but I do have lots of photos of my daughter. Still but I choice this one- a black and white newspaper clipping that is crinkled and laminated that gave me the general idea but not much else to work with. As luck would have it I came upon a portrait, not of my daughter but another profile portrait with similar lighting and I decided to use that as a guide to take this painting further. So what you'll see now is the second 'finished' stage, then 2 steps back. I blocked out areas again and am working on molding the face to get correct contours and highlights. I also decided to open her eyes. I am now firmly headed toward realistic, although it may not look like that yet-- hopefully it will!


To counter balance all this realism (or what I hope will be realism) I will be doing a slightly abstract, colorful horse here in the next few days to blow off some steam. Reality is fine but imagination is fun so I will let myself lt loose on another horse painting soon. :) For now I will bring you up to date on my daughter's 'I Made a Wish...." portrait. I am bringing more light on to her face, opening her eyes and reworking the profile slightly.
To see more portraits, human, equine and pet go to http://www.suesteiner.com
Thanks for stopping by!



Comments

Anonymous said…
Sometimes it takes longer than you think. Sometimes it takes on a new direction. It'll come. In the meantime, have fun blowing off steam!
I'm glad you changed the eyes, they look softer somehow like she's looking down rather than closing them tightly. Eyes can be so tricky, I'm re-working a pair right now.
Yes, eyes can be tricky and if you don't get the eyes then you just lose the whole thing.... I was trying to go by my reference but really it was so hard to see much of anything so that is why I thought about doing it very loosely and more 'expressive'-- but I went too far with details, missed that opportunity but not far enough for it to read right. Sigh. This is definitely a learning experience and a challenge which is why I wanted to do this. Wish me luck! :) I am glad its mine so there is really no pressure to please anyone except myself and I can just keep painting her to my heart's content! :) What are you working on? I'll check out your blog in case its there.

Popular Posts