A Baby Face!

Work in progress pics below: wet oil paint creates a glare in photos so please check out finished (and dry!!) work on my web site at http://www.suesteiner.com/ :)























'Work in Progress' Oil Painting

I settled on a sweet baby face for today's painting. I have a colt who is 6 months old and when he was born I could not take my eyes off his beautiful eyes and eyelashes! I was mesmerized and smitten with his sweet baby face, whiskers and long long eyelashes!


I am painting this on a 9 x 12 cradle board in oil paint. I have about an hour into this painting so far-- not counting my drawing from last night. I'll take you thru the steps from this morning. I stopped at this point to let the turpentine and oil paint background dry some so I can get in and do some detail work. What I've done up to this point is get the body suggestions in the background and the values in-- my darks and lights. I toned this board with a lavender acrylic base which you can see in the last photo from this morning how nicely the burnt sierra, creamy yellows and light lavender look together already. I need to stop and go feed my critters so this is a good stopping point for now.



This is a painting of my friend Brenda and her mini Bucky. Isn't he cute? I am 90% done... jsut waiting for the paint to dry to add another layer, even out skin tones and do some fine tuning.
To see completed commissions go to http://www.suesteiner.com/


Thanks for stopping by!


Sue Steiner
equine and animal artist

Comments

Popular Posts