Southwest Style Horse Art




I love the dusty, earthy colors in this painting. I am considering it 90% done. :) I need a couple days to look it over and decide what else it needs. I really like the coloring on the face although I need to work on the right eye. I am considering doing another painting in this color palette of a closer cropped face since I enjoyed the loose brushstrokes around the face and mane on this one.


Today I met with some of the other artists who have studios in the same gallery I am in. We are working out some promotional types of things we will do as a group. I think one of the things I will be offering during our Open Studio time is horse drawing lessons. I imagine horse crazy little girls but hey there are plenty of people who never grow out of the horse crazy stage. Why does it have to be considered a 'stage' anyways? If you are in Canton and are interested in hearing more drop me a line or stop by Second April Art Gallerie.


I do have to say out of vanity I considered not posting this piece because for some reason (maybe the size and shape of the original canvas??) when I put the image up on the computer it looks out of whack. I am sure that has to do with some kind of distortion from my monitor and the resizing of the image which I do not know how to correct. So with that little disclaimer I am posting this anyways.


For the most part I have not censored what I post. If you've followed me for any length of time then you've seen the whole range of me 'playing' and throwing paint around to what I think of as more serious work. I think by doing that it helps take away the fear of failing when it comes to painting. I decided when it became clear a few years ago that I was going to want to paint come hell or high water because it feels good to paint. I was not going to let myself get into the position that the end product would become more important than the process. I have heard of too many painters who stop painting because they get locked up from perfectionism or being too self critical. This is my way of countering that. I want to strive to improve and grow and refine my technique but never at the expense that painting is no longer enjoyable.


Thanks for stopping by!


animal and equine artist

pet portraits

Comments

Anonymous said…
I'm glad you did post it. I enjoyed seeing it!

Popular Posts